Saturday 21 April 2012

Comp Prep etc

Today was my second events session and it was a little more focused than the last. Where as last week I was just toying with the weights and getting a feel for the gear, this felt more like a proper structured workout and I had a blast. First on my list to do was to sort out my retarded log clean technique and get it to the point where I could one motion press it. After figuring out the starting position and a lovely bit of advice from jt (hug it to your chest), I reckon I've pretty much got it. Worked my way up to 77kg strict and then decided to go for pushes too. 87kg went up fine, 97kg was fairly close but wouldn't budge. The floor was a bit wet and slippery also which didn't help, I'd have quite liked to give split jerking a go on a log as it's my preferred method of pushing out a bar. Ah well. Only one other guy managed the 97kg, but failed the 99.5kg (sorry I never got your name!). Good effort from everyone though.

'That other guy' (It says 92 but I think this was only 87... he smashed 97kg though too).

Next up were the stones and I was fairly confident due to my relatively strong legs and back. Turns out it's a shit ton of bicep work too, and while I managed to rep 80kg, 105kg only went up the once. It's weird, I didn't exactly push myself to the limit with it, yet I could only get it up once. It definitely needs some working on, once it's lapped I'm all good but once again it's the starting position technique that's letting me down.

But overall a good session. 97kg log nearly went up, and I have a 100kg rep challenge in 8 weeks. A 105kg stone went up, and that's slap bang in the middle of Mazda classic stone weights (80-120kg). Things are looking good, even though I may be cutting it a little fine...

Oh yeah! Another comp lined up, coming roughly a month after Dartford and it's in Newark. It's completely for charity so no prizes/shirts/whatever but in all honesty, I'm happy to be giving another comp a go full stop. It's good competitive practice, relatively local and the weights look really tasty.

85kg log for reps
180 deadlifts for reps (head 2 head)
250kg yoke over 20 metres
80kg sand bag carry for 20m followed by a van drag for 20m
100k farmers walk 40m

Minus the sandbag/van medley, I'm definitely confident to rep these weights. Unfortunately, that means everybody else will be but at least no one will fail a lift, which is good for competition and obviously good for the audience. I'm really looking forward to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment