Wednesday 2 January 2013

2013 - New Year, New Goals

Evening all, welcome to another blog post. What was I talking about last time? Ah yes, Powerlifting and diet. Well let's start with the former. I'm well up for powerlifting, but after watching this years World's Strongest Man, I really can't leave strongman for good. And there's no reason to be honest, there's nothing stopping me doing both and I bloody well plan to.

But not this year. Powerlifting involves a lot of travelling and dates that just really suck for my university exam timetable, and strongman is far too heavy for my lifts at the moment. With that in mind, and with no real time limit on any of it, I really just wanna knuckle down with just a solid years training and diet. I aim to get my total up, get my technique perfect and really work my way up to what I should have been doing all of the last 6 months, cos my progress lately has been pretty shocking (literally 10-20kg off PBs set in the summer).

A very exhausted 180kg single. Basically working on my form all winter. Not perfect but getting there.

So yeah, no comps this year, but I'm still staying focused. I've set myself 3 massive targets for 2013 which while not entirely impossible, definitely stretch the limits of the 52 weeks I've set for myself. I'm after an 700kg raw total, so I'm looking at something like:

250kg squat
150kg bench
300kg deadlift

And as outrageous as that sounds already, I intend to do it all at 105kg bodyweight. How?

Well, since my last blog post, I mentioned that I had started to clean up my diet. I hit 108kg bodyweight and didn't lose any strength, which was a obviously good (Since then I've gone back up to 112kg thanks to christmas and takeaways lol). So basically, I can lose weight really effectively by just eating better (no shit). And that's what really worried me before, losing weight and strength at the same time, which I know I can now obviously avoid. Yeah it's what, 2kg over 2 months? but that's fucking incredible with no strength losses and even better, definite strength gains, all while dropping bodyfat.

Brown pasta has surprisingly grown on me, along with lean mince and other things I never imagined eating.

I based my diet on a classic bodybuilding IIFYM style diet with a 50% carb, 30% protein and 20% fat ratio. I found out my maintenance calorie intake and fit the macros to it for roughly 60g fat, 360g carbs and 210g protein per day. I'm not on a calorie deficit as I don't need to 'shred' or lose anything but excess fat, but I still want to be getting the proper nutrition for muscle building and recovery (and not be hungry). I'm not gonna lie, I blagged most of this from half arsed research by myself and a few other sources, but it worked, so what the hell.

MyFitnessPal does everything for you, even with a cool little barcode scanner. Very handy.

I know this diet nonsense completely contradicts everything I said in previous posts about fuck diet, lift shit etc, but I'm making it up as I go along, and to be honest, I wouldn't have done it any other way. Don't get me wrong, if you wanna lift big, you gotta eat big. But when I wanted to be as big as possible like my heroes Glenn Ross and Andy Bolton; They can get as much muscle as they want under that fat with no weight limit (and are naturally the strongest men on the planet because of it). However, I want to lift at 105kg bodyweight. When I'm stuck with a 105kg weight limit, I feel that extra fat is wasted kilograms I could be using for muscle (I've mentioned before in previous posts why I've imposed such a limit, for now anyway).

Goddammit I love this man

So yeah that's about it for now. I started the Russian squat routine today and it felt great, but it looks fucking scary next week. Will be posting an update sometime next week or so with more details soon. Bye bye for now!



No comments:

Post a Comment