Saturday 19 January 2013

Time off and other bits

About a year ago I was high-bar squatting in my brand new oly shoes and then like two days later, my calves went tight as shit and then two days after that, my shins felt like they were snapping on walking.

Yeah that's happened again. Getting a little over zealous with my russian routine made me neglect my form and wider stance and squat like a muppet again, keeping my feet narrow and collapsing over my knees. I thought I stopped this... Since switching to a wider stance low-bar position, I have never felt so stable and in control of my squats  but for some reason that all went to shit the other day and now I'm feeling it again, meaning I should probably give it a rest for a bit.

Quite literally running through the tight calves that started it all.

Now I know there's no real reason to stop benching (and even deads to an extent) but I'm sure this rest will be worth it. Coming away from 5 PBs in 5 days, my body could probably do with a break in my opinion. It'll only be for a couple more days, so a full weeks break in total.

I'm still a little unsure on resuming the russian squat routine too; I mean, if big rep sets are causing me to drop form with fatigue, I'd rather not risk an injury again. I'll think about this on my week off, but either way, I've definitely taken something productive away from the program. I am in love with the massive set number of doubles/triples and even if i do drop the routine, these will stay. Whether I quit or complete it, I still think squatting three times a week is detrimental to my recovery, so I might go back to squatting just twice a week too (back and front).

Just a quick outline of how I think my training has evolved now that strongman is 100% back on the cards (assuming not running RSR):



Not as much focus on squats as previously, but still a fair amount of leg work. The assistance exercises will be chopped and changed whenever they get stale but at the moment they are my favourites for now. This, plus event training every other week, will hopefully continue to keep getting me stronger.
  
Also, if you've got an extra minute, a good friend of mine who knows his shit has just started fitness blogging as well. Definitely one to follow if you're in to that sort of thing (Whatever that is, he's a bit fucking vague at the minute!). Link's under the image.


Other than that, I've been cheating the diet a little bit as I think I'm losing weight to quickly. I weighed in at dead on 105kg this morning; That was a bit of a shock! I've literally lost 6kg in less than 4 weeks and hit PBs like no fucking tomorrow (Latest was a 115kg push press, woo!). Still eating brown rice, chicken and veg, but with a few more treats here and there like Wetherspoon's Steak Club Mixed Grill (with a cheeky pint!).

Anyway, yes I'm fully aware this blog post is mostly shit, boring and the title is very misleading/exaggerated, but I was killing time waiting for my Wii mod to finish updating. Til next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment